- How to get a Canada study visa
If the answer is yes, in this article we will summarize for you comprehensive steps on “How to obtain a Canada Study Visa in 2022”
1 - Apply at a Canadian university and get your acceptance letter
You must apply for a study permit before coming to study in Canada, and to apply for a study permit, you need a letter of acceptance from an educational institution approved by the Canadian government to host international students.
So you have to ask yourself what university you want to go to study in, because it is very important to decide before you can go to Start the study permit application process.
After you have been successfully accepted into a Canadian university, make sure that you obtain the acceptance letter from the university, which is required as an essential step for obtaining a study permit.
To obtain university admission, the requirements for the program you want to study are usually determined by your chosen university, and the requirements for each study program may differ from the requirements of the rest of the study programmes.
But often the university will ask you to select your secondary education system, and consider whether you meet its eligibility criteria.
As for the English language test, Canadian universities often prefer to obtain the results of the academic IELTS test as a way to prove your level of English.
2 – Check if you need to apply for a study permit in Canada
At this point, you can use the official Canadian study permit tool to find out if you need a visa or a study permit.
If one of the following applies to you, you do not need a study permit:
- You are a family member of a foreign employee who is in Canada with a contract from the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development, Enrolled in a study program lasting less than six months.
- You are a member of the foreign armed forces present in Canada under the law that allows members of the visiting forces to complete their studies in Canada.
Note: Before completing the steps of how to obtain a Canada study visa, you should know that a study permit does not work like a visa, and does not allow you to enter or travel to Canada, so you will still need a visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) that allows you to enter the territory Canadian.
3- Start your application for a Canadian student visa (study permit)
This step is very important if you remember in step #1 where you needed to apply to Canadian university and get your acceptance letter.
Now that you've got your acceptance letter from the university, it's time to move on to the next step of applying for a student visa, which is known locally as a study permit.
Steps to obtain your study permit:
- Apply online for your Canadian student visa (study permit), on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website before you arrive in Canada.
- If you have limited internet access or cannot submit documents online, mail your visa application documents, Acceptance letter must be submitted from a university recognized by the Canadian government.
- You must also provide evidence of sufficient financial resources to support your studies in Canada (tuition fees and living expenses).
- Provide evidence that you do not have a criminal record,Submit clinical records that you are in good health, complete medical examinations should be provided if necessary.
- If you want to continue your studies .
- If you change your university .
- If your study program needs a longer period .
After your studies Your permit to study in Canada expires in 90 days (or when you receive a notification to complete your course of study).
You can still stay in Canada to explore or apply for a work permit, which allows you to get a full-time or part-time job, or even be self-employed.
4 - Prepare all the documents required to obtain a study permit in Canada
Now that you have started your application for a Student Visa (Study Permit), you need to prepare all the documents required for obtaining a Student Visa.
The first steps in preparing your documents are as follows:
- Original letter of acceptance from the university
- Fill out the study permit application form for the student
- Two recent passport-sized photos with your name and date of birth written on the back
- A letter explaining why you want to study in Canada
- A valid passport/travel document, which also allows you to return to your home country if you live in the United States, this requirement is not necessary.
- Proof of financial support available during the period of your study program, this means proof that you have between 10,000 and 11,000 Canadian dollars per year in order to live in Canada.
If you plan to study in Quebec, you will also need a Québec study permit (Certificat d'acceptation du Québec), an English and French translation of your documents, a statement from the translator and a certified and notarized copy of the original documents .
Proof that you have paid the study permit fee of $150 (CAD 150) .
5-Language requirements to study in Canada
If you come from an English-speaking country, Canadian universities will ask you to provide proof of your English language proficiency.
Please note that proof of English language skills is not included in the list of documents required for a Canadian student visa (study permit).
Acceptable language tests include:
- IELTS Academic
- TOEFL iBT
- PTE . Academy
- C1 Advanced
6-Biometric appointment and interview [fingerprints and photos]
At this stage, from the steps of how to obtain a Canada Study Visa, you have to come to the Visa Application Center in your country to take your biometrics which are your fingerprints and personal photos .
If you need to provide fingerprints and a photograph, you do not need to include paper photographs with your application. You only need to submit your biometrics once every 10 years .
If you submitted biometrics in the past as part of an application for a visitor visa, work or study permit and they are still valid, you do not need to give them again for that application.
Find out if and when your biometrics are still valid with our Biometric Status Checker.
Biometrics fee is CAD 85, in addition to the normal visa application fee.
7- How long does it take to obtain a Canadian study permit ?
Now that you have applied for your Canadian study permit, you may ask how long it takes, well, the processing time may take up to 90 days, but it is usually faster, this also depends on the situation in your country.
If you want to make it faster, you can use the Student Direct Stream tool for your study permit. The fee starts at $150 CAD and the processing time is usually around 20 days and is only available for students from the following countries[China, India, Morocco, Pakistan, Filipinos, Senegal, and Vietnam] .
If you would like to know more, you can find more updated information on how to obtain a Canada Student Visa and the requirements for the Canadian Student Visa 2022 on the official student visa page of the Canadian government .
8- Acceptance of the study permit application
To decide whether or not to accept your study permit application, your application will be subject to a detailed review by an officer who will assess the information and documents you have provided, and determine whether an interview is necessary.
If an interview is required, you will receive a letter specifying the date, time and location of the interview.
If your application is refused, any original documents, including your passport (if submitted with your application), will be returned with an explanation of why your application was rejected .
Note: If an officer suspects that you have submitted false documents, they will not be returned to you.
If your application is approved, any documents proving your personal identity, including your passport (if submitted with your application), will be returned with a letter confirming approval of your study permit .
The letter is not a study permit but must be presented at the port of entry upon arrival in Canada .
When you arrive in Canada, you must show the application letter and temporary resident visa, if any, to the officer in charge at the port of entry .
The officer will decide if you still meet the requirements for admission to Canada, and the officer at the port of entry will determine whether you can enter Canada, and how long you can stay.
You will be issued a study permit at this time. You must leave Canada on or before the date set by the officer or extend your study permit .